My name is Nikki and I am an Elementary Education Major at Millikin University. I wrote this blog for my class, Children's Literature. I hope that you enjoy reading the blogs about the books that I have been exposed to in this class. If you have any suggestions for books that I should read or can use in my classroom, please feel free to let me know! Thank you, and enjoy!

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Yellow Star by Jennifer Roy



Yellow Star by Jennifer Roy

After reading the inside cover of this book, I knew that I was not going to be able to put it down until the book was finished. When reading this book, I felt so connected to Syvia and her family. I cannot imagine what it would be like to go through over 5 and a half years of starvation and fear every single day. I was scared for her and her family just reading about her experiences.
When she had to lay down in the graveyard many nights with her father to hide from the Jews, I was so worried for them. Just to think about the times when they were starving and cold. It makes me feel guilty for the times I have complained about being cold or hungry for just half an hour. However, after reading this story, I feel blessed for what I have now.

I think that Syvia’s father was very smart. I loved how he was so optimistic throughout the book and was able to devise plans that saved not only his family, but other Jews as well. If it weren’t for him, I think a lot of those Jewish people that were alive at the end of the story would have died.

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone because I think it gives a different perspective to what actually happened in Europe at this time. I think this would be interesting for students to read to learn about the Holocaust instead of reading out of a textbook. I know that I have learned more about the Holocaust from this book than any other history class I have read. Also, I think that it is important for all people to know what the Jews went through. This way children and adults will think twice before they discriminate against a certain race or religion.

1 comment: