My name is Nikki and I am an Elementary Education Major at Millikin University. I wrote this blog for my class, Children's Literature. I hope that you enjoy reading the blogs about the books that I have been exposed to in this class. If you have any suggestions for books that I should read or can use in my classroom, please feel free to let me know! Thank you, and enjoy!

Monday, May 10, 2010

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie


I loved reading this book by Alexie. I thought that the author did a fantastic job of presenting this book like the diary of 14 year old boy, Junior. And the drawings were very comical! I liked looking at those because I felt like it helped me get to know him on a different level. I enjoyed getting to know this original and quirky character. It was interesting to get to know what it was like to see what it would be like to be an Indian in a school that is predominately wealthy, rich kids. I think that this story was very uplifting and perfect for students to read in the classroom. It shows that even in the roughest situations, it is important to recognize your heritage and keep believing in yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment