My name is Nikki and I am an Elementary Education Major at Millikin University. I wrote this blog for my class, Children's Literature. I hope that you enjoy reading the blogs about the books that I have been exposed to in this class. If you have any suggestions for books that I should read or can use in my classroom, please feel free to let me know! Thank you, and enjoy!

Monday, May 10, 2010

Sharon Creech Author Study


I chose to do my Author Study on Sharon Creech. She has many books of a wide variety than have won a lot of medals. I decided to read three of her books because I have always heard of her, but had never read any of her books. I am definitely glad that I chose this author because the three books I chose: Walk Two Moons, Love That Dog, and Hate That Cat. I picked these novels because I could not tell what they would be like just from the cover and I wanted to find out!

Out of the three books, my favorite book was Walk Two Moons. Once I started reading this book, I could not put it down. It was interesting to go on many journeys in this book with Sal and her friend Phoebe and learn about Native American heritage. It shows the reader how to deal with anger and that even though bad things can happen in your family, it is still important to stay strong. I think this a great lesson for children to learn because one of the worst things that can happen to a child is the death of a parent. This shows the stages of her acceptance and how to deal with problems. In my classroom, I would be sure that none of my students have had a similar happening in their family, because then this book may be hard for them to cope with.

Love That Dog and Hate That Cat were fun books to read. I picked these books based on their titles because I LOVE dogs and HATE cats! I liked the way that she wrote these books with poetry and in 1st person of the main character, Jack. My favorite part was when he learned the "poetry of silence". This is something that many children need to learn! I also enjoyed Jack's quirky personality. I think that Creech did a good job at showing his personality through the poems. These books were short and easy reads that could be used in the classroom to learn about different writing styles and for inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment