My name is Nikki and I am an Elementary Education Major at Millikin University. I wrote this blog for my class, Children's Literature. I hope that you enjoy reading the blogs about the books that I have been exposed to in this class. If you have any suggestions for books that I should read or can use in my classroom, please feel free to let me know! Thank you, and enjoy!

Monday, May 10, 2010

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling


The first time I read this book, it was because my sisters both loved it and they forced me to read it. I think that I didn’t like it because I was forced into reading it. This time, I read the entire book and found it to be very enjoyable. Even though I am not a huge fan of fantasy/science fiction novels, this book is very entertaining and teaches valuable lessons. In this book, Harry spends the first ten years of his life living with a family that hates him and treats him horribly. They even make him living underneath the stairs. Then one day, he receives a letter from a mysterious person inviting him to Hogwarts, a school of magic. It turns out, that Harry Potter is actually very famous in the wizard world because he is the only one to survive against Voldemort. While at Hogwarts, Harry makes new friends, enemies, and learns to play Quidditch. But most importantly, he finds the true meaning of the scar on his forehead. This book is sure to keep all readers on their toes all the way to the last page and I would reccommend it for leisurely reading. However, I am not sure that this would be a good book to use in the classroom. There are many controversial issues that could arise from reading this book in class. Anything from magic to evil spirits could cause problems and arguments. While it is important for students to read books like Harry Potter and Twilight, I think this should be kept at home and out of the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment