My name is Nikki and I am an Elementary Education Major at Millikin University. I wrote this blog for my class, Children's Literature. I hope that you enjoy reading the blogs about the books that I have been exposed to in this class. If you have any suggestions for books that I should read or can use in my classroom, please feel free to let me know! Thank you, and enjoy!

Monday, May 10, 2010

So You Want to Be President? Illustrated by David Small, written by Judith St. George (Philomel)


One of the most popular future that little kids want to have when they grow up is to be the President of the United States. This book is really fun because it tells a lot of fun facts about the presidents. My favorite part of So You Want to Be President is the illustrations. These are realistic, yet are designed in the form of cartoons. It was fun to see what was going to be written and drawn on each page. I liked the part when the author talks about the “Presidential Beauty Contest”. This really shows that looks do not get someone far in life, but it’s what on the inside that really counts. The only complaint that I have about this book is that it is not updated. At the end it says, “Every President was different from every other and yet no woman has been President. No person of color has been President.” In fact, in our last election a woman and a man of color ran for president. All in all, this book would be great to use in the classroom and shows the strengths and differences of all of the presidents really well.

No comments:

Post a Comment