My name is Nikki and I am an Elementary Education Major at Millikin University. I wrote this blog for my class, Children's Literature. I hope that you enjoy reading the blogs about the books that I have been exposed to in this class. If you have any suggestions for books that I should read or can use in my classroom, please feel free to let me know! Thank you, and enjoy!

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli


This is one of my best books that I have read this semester at the intermediate level. I loved Stargirl because she is a character that everyone can learn a little bit from. In the book, Stargirl comes into a high school and everyone wants to know about her because she is always changing her name and wearing odd clothes. Leo becomes so fascinated with her that he secretly stalks her and the two end up becoming great friends, and then boyfriend and girlfriend. After they kiss, and spend a lot of time together, Leo realizes that he loves her for her uniqueness. However, Leo is not the only person in the high school that is inspired by Stargirl, but also the band, other students, cheerleaders, and the fans at the football game. But eventually, her popularity dies and so does Leo and Stargirl's relationship. When Stargirl is upset, she goes back to being called Susan and dresses in normal clothes; however, this still does not get people to like her again. In the end, Stargirl moves away but leaves a great impact on the entire school and especially Leo. I admire her character, because she is always kind and in the end she realizes that being herself is the most important things. This book would be great for middle schoolers in preperation for high school because I think that Stargirl represents high school well and teaches a valuable lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment