My name is Nikki and I am an Elementary Education Major at Millikin University. I wrote this blog for my class, Children's Literature. I hope that you enjoy reading the blogs about the books that I have been exposed to in this class. If you have any suggestions for books that I should read or can use in my classroom, please feel free to let me know! Thank you, and enjoy!

Monday, May 10, 2010

Elijah of Buxton by Christopher Paul Curtis (Coretta Scott King)


I chose to read this book because I have read another book that is written by Curtis: Bud, Not Buddy, and really enjoyed it. I was definitely not let down when I was reading Elijah of Buxton. It was fun to read because I was able to get in touch with all of my emotions throughout the book. It was interesting to hear about slavery in the perspective of a child. I love how detailed the author was in this story. I felt like I was in Buxton and that very connected to Elijah. It was interesting when he met different slaves and got to hear all of their stories. I think that Elijah is a very admirable character and that it took a lot of courage to go back into America where he could have been captured. I could see myself using this is in the classroom because it would be very easy to connect this story to history, journal writing, narrative writing, and Elijah is a great role model for the students. I give this book two thumbs up!

No comments:

Post a Comment